A friend of mine struggled to take carry on for a weekend away interstate, and couldn’t believe that I am going to be travelling with only carry on for at least three weeks of our overseas trip to Europe. How am I going to do it?
CHOOSING THE RIGHT BAG
Size restrictions: T and I are catching a total of 8 flights, using 5 different airlines. This worked out more cost-effective but it also means that we had to check the dimensions allowed for carry on for each leg. Write down each airline’s luggage restrictions and then take the lowest weight and smallest dimensions – that way you won’t get caught out.
Weather considerations: I learned this the hard way when I last went to Europe.
Bags with wheels and snow do not mix. They don’t deal with cobblestones very well either.
Design: As we have a few late check in times around the place, I’ll be carrying my bag around with me while exploring so it had to be easy to sling over my shoulder and tuck under my arm safely.
Do you want lots of additional pockets? Do you want lightweight canvas or a more solid leather case?
WHAT TO PACK
- 3 singlets (black, white and striped)
- 1 thin long-sleeved top
- 1 pair of jeans
- 2 pairs of shoes: one small walking sneakers, one ballet flats
- 1 skirt or lightweight dress
- 1 swimsuit
- 4 pairs of underwear and 2 bras
- 3 pairs of socks
That still seems like a lot, but keep in mind that you’ll have to wear something on the plane, so that cancels off 1 singlet, the long-sleeved top, jeans, sneakers and 1 of each undergarment. So really, my bag will contain:
Do not pack your entire wardrobe – you will only end up wearing the same few (comfortable) things every day. I plan on hand washing my clothes in the basin and occasionally taking them to a laundromat. I’d much rather buy lovely frocks and accessories over there and save them for our one suitcase on the way home.
- Deodorant (small roll on)
- 5ml travel container of Ella Bache serum
- 5ml travel container of Ella Bache eye cream
- 10ml travel container of Ella Bache moisturiser
- MAC foundation and concealer
- Armani Mascara (trial size from makeup event)
- NARS Blush/Bronzer Duo
- Coral Cabana palette by Bobbi Brown
- MAC gel eyeliner in Blacktrack
- Benefit brow pencil
- Hair brush and little hair conditioning sachets
- Toothbrush, floss and toothpaste
Shampoo and conditioner you ask? I’ll grab some when we get to London. Ditto with sunscreen.
- 2 x cameras (my Nikon D90 and a point and shoot Canon) + memory cards
- Travel journal
- Travel wallet complete with tickets, foreign money and train passes
- Phone in case of emergencies
- Power point adaptors for each area of travel
- Chargers for camera and phone
- Folder with itinerary (complete with dining, sights and shopping suggestions), train timetable and hotel booking print outs
Please let me know if you think I’ve forgotten anything!
Other travel posts I’m working on are:
How to plan a lengthy trip without a travel agent
My favourite travel items
I was also thinking about doing a video post on my packing rehearsal – would you find that interesting?