I have been working on this post for days now. I get part way through and then whisk off somewhere else or get distracted or can’t get the words out. I do apologise for my lack of posts – I am slowly finding my feet in my brand new career.
I am now halfway through Week Three of what feels like some kind of social experiment, but is actually the new life I have chosen for myself. Thank you for all the wonderful comments over the last few weeks – supportive, inquisitive and otherwise. What have I been doing with myself and my new-found freedom? What is it like? Is it taking off and keeping me chaotically busy?
What have I been doing? Learning guitar, teaching singing, going to the gym, cooking and experimenting with more complicated recipes, cleaning the apartment, listing possessions I no longer need on eBay, learning French, keeping in touch with my friends more (online and face to face), getting more Vitamin D, sleeping better, crying over episodes of The Biggest Loser, performing every weekend and still working at children’s parties.
What I am loving:
- The apartment is cleaner than it has ever been and it was cleaned by ME. My boyfriend (gem that he is) has always been the domestic one in the past, mainly because I was working 7 days a week most weeks. Now, I am the domestic goddess!
- Adding to the goddess title – I am cooking. From. Scratch. I have always been little Miss Heat It Up. Now I am following healthy, delicious recipes and am thoroughly enjoying it (despite ending up with pumpkin soup all over my walls and appliances the other day).
- I am able to go to the gym 5 days a week, Monday through Friday. I attend classes (Pilates and Zumba), see my trainer once a week at a normal hour (I was going at 5.30am previously) and do my own workouts. Combined with the cooking, I am feeling great!
- My bank account. It doesn’t like this new change of mine. I try not to look at it too often otherwise this sense of sickening panic and regret comes over me which just isn’t helpful. Things could be worse. I knew that leaving the security of a regular full time pay cheque would be hard, but I’m sucking it up and getting on with it. Money or no money. I do have a handful of clients but I wish they were growing in numbers at a faster rate.
- Dreading the weekends. My weekends are now the days where I earn most of my income which means I push myself to crazy limits working during the day and performing 3 to 4 hour gigs at night. It’s exhausting and I really felt it this weekend. I lost my voice and my entire body ached. Thank God for Monday (not something I thought I would ever say/type).
- Exercising restraint. I’m not very good at this, but am so far impressing myself. I love fashion. I love skincare. Make up, home decor, stationary, shoes, magazines, massages, delicious organic lunches, seeing movies at the cinema and buying interesting books. But this has all been put on hold. Sad but true. It could be teaching me a number of life lessons though – the most important: to learn to live with a lot less.
I promise to set aside some time this week to fill your days with beautiful imagery, inspirational designs and even some gems of the cyberspace.
How have you been lovely readers? I’d love to hear from you!